Fitness Blog: Run Keeper and the Up Band

Hey!!

Long time, no see! Sorry I've been gone for so long... I guess I just got out of the swing of blogging. Plus, nothing interesting has really been going on recently. I'll try to post a least once a week, I promise!!

Like I said, nothing new has really happened in my life lately. I have been working on getting into shape- instead of sitting around the house and being bored out of my mind, I've been heading to the gym 3-4 times a week. I'm definitely not fit by any means, but I'm slowly (but surely) getting there. Just gotta take it one day at a time! I used to just go to the gym and walk/ jog on the treadmill or use the elliptical for 30 or 45 minutes and maybe lift some weights. I was really bored with doing the same thing every time I went to the gym, so I eventually just stopped going. I just wasn't motivated at all.

My freshmen year of college, I starred watching what I ate and burned a ton of calories each week at marching band practice. I actually lost almost 10 pounds instead of gaining them like most students. I was doing really well, until marching season ended. I kept the weight off through the summer by going to the gym once in awhile, and by the time band camp started, I had lost another 5 pounds (about 15 lbs total). I moved into my apartment that same year, and started gaining weight after marching season ended that year. The combination of not going to the gym, taking the bus to class instead of walking, and cooking whatever I wanted whenever I wanted caused me to gain back all the weight I had lost. I was so disappointed with myself. I decided that I needed to get my butt in gear and start getting into shape. So, this summer I've been working on doing that. 

I saw that Andy Hurley (the drummer for Fall Out Boy) tracks his daily runs using the "Run Keeper" app. I downloaded it to see exactly what it was; I don't really use it for running, but it's great for keeping track of my workouts and keeping me motivated. There are different workout plans you can choose from, or you can make your own plans. I chose the "Beginner's 5K"- I don't really plan on running a 5K anytime soon, but I like to follow a workout plan/ program to keep myself in the swing of working out. Basically, the app tells you what days you workout (my plan gives me a rest day every other day), and what type of workout you should complete that day. I chose the "Beginner's 5K" so that I could get my stamina back up. Marching band takes a ton of energy, so I'm working on preparing for band camp, aka Hell Week. 

I also use my Up Band to track my workouts and sleep patterns. You can also use it to track your food and drink intake each day, but I tend to get really obsessive when I use any sort of calorie tracker. You wear the Up Band around your wrist 24 hours a day, and it counts the amount of steps you take, how many hours you sleep, how many calories you burn, how long you've sat still, etc. etc. All you have to do is plug the band into your phone, download the "Up by Jawbone" app, and sync the band. You can sync the band whenever you want; the app recommends you sync at least twice a day. To me, it's like the Nike Fuel, but better. My dad recently bought a new Up Band and gave me his old one. It really gave me a new perspective on working out and getting fit. I'm not sure how expensive the band is, so it may not be for everyone. I'm just glad my dad gave me his old Up Band when he upgraded. I don't mind hand-me-downs :) 

I've been going to the gym 3-4 times a week now for almost 3 months. I can tell that my mood has improved and I am much more energized. I'll be honest, I did skip 2 workouts (my plan allows 3 skip days for 28 weeks)... But I have 11 under my belt so far! The workouts are getting easier and easier each week, and I actually look forward to going to the gym now. Some days, I skip the gym and take my dogs on a walk- they love going for walks, and it's good exercise for them, too :)

If you're interested in the "Run Keeper" app, just search "Run Keeper" in the App Store (it's completely free!). The icon looks like this: 


Also, if you're interested in the Up Band, check out your local Best Buy or VerizonWireless store. I think they are sold online as well. You can download the app by searching "Up" in the App Store. It looks like this: 



Thank you so much for reading! Hopefully, I'll have some more fitness updates for you soon :)

Keri <3

2 comments :

  1. Great informative post. Thanks..

    http://www.kreyos.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad that you found this helpful :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.