Gettin' Healthy

Hey there!

I feel like I have the same New Year's Resolution each year- to lose weight, to fit into a certain size, to work out more, etc. etc.  I know I'm not alone in this, but I never seem to be nearly as successful as my friends and family members when it comes to keeping these promises to myself.  We're almost halfway through 2016 (what?!), and I haven't stuck to my resolution at all.  But, I'm changing it up a little bit, and I'm hoping to do better with the second half of the year.



So, my "mid-year resolution" is to get healthy.  That could mean a number of things.  To me, it means I need to follow the following guidelines:

  • Watch what you eat
  • Track your weight and workouts
  • Improve your oral hygiene 
  • Be a happy person
I tried to keep each bullet point pretty general so I could fit a few different things under each category.  Overall, my goal is to become a happier, healthier person before the year is over; my main focus is to improve my mental and physical health (but I'll get into that in the next few sections). 

Quick disclaimer before we start: the rest of this post is probably not going to be super helpful unless you're wanting to make similar resolutions.  This is more of a reminder to myself than anything.  Honestly, I'm a planner, and I like to set goals.  That's pretty much the whole point of this (probably massive) post.  
Okay, let's break down each of these categories.
----------

Watch What You Eat

This one is pretty self-explanatory, right?  This happens every summer: I watch what I eat the whole school year, and I tend to eat balanced meals each day.  But as soon as break starts, I'm back to eating whatever I want and not really tracking the amount of food I eat each day.  I don't track calories mostly because I become obsessive (it's definitely an unhealthy thing for me, but if it works for you, go for it!) and weird about it.  Mainly I want to snack less, only go to Starbucks once a week, and eat three balanced meals each day.  

I have gone to Starbucks about 4 times this week so far.  That's not good for my health or my budget... especially since I order a frappechino every time I go.  It's also not great for my teeth (espresso = yellow).  So, Starbucks once a week.  

I'm a snacker.  I would much rather eat snack food all day long instead of eating three meals a day.  This is soooooo beyond unhealthy for me.  This worked for me in college, but I was also in band and walked everywhere.  I probably walked at least 5 miles each day between practice and walking to/ from class.  Now that I'm not walking up and down the hills of Fayetteville, I need to be more aware of what I'm eating and when.  I'm also a fan of eating late at night because I'm a night owl.  No more of that.

Track Your Weight and Workouts

I'm really bad about this one.  I'll get on a workout plan, or I'll download an app full of workouts, and I'll stick to it for about a week or two.  Then I'll fall off.  I don't really know how or why, but it always seems to happen.  Honestly, I think it's because I don't push myself to finish the entire workout plan.  I make excuses like, "I'll do it after _______," or "I'm just too busy/ stressed/ whatever."  I have got to stop doing this to myself.  I always feel so much better after completing even the smallest of workouts, so I need to get back into the swing of things.  I want to workout at least 4 times a week and track my weight weekly.  

I love the Fitness22 apps (Situps, Great Legs, Great Butt, Great Abs, Pushups, and 5K Runner are a few of my favorites) and the Target Weight Tracker app.  Check out this blog post for more info about these apps and my ideal workout routine.  What I like most about these apps is that they are pre-made routines, and they're so easy to stick to- each app is laid out by weeks and days, and you check off each workout as you complete it.  As I mentioned before, I need to start tracking my weight each week.  I just need to remember that my weight will fluctuate, depending on a ton of factors.  Either way, I have a goal weight in mind, and I need to take steps to get there.

Improve Your Oral Hygiene 

I've always been unhappy with my smile and my teeth in general.  I've had braces twice and Invisalign, and I have permanent retainers on my top and bottom teeth.  I've never had super white, shiny teeth, and my gums are not as healthy as they could/ should be.  I'm working to change that.  I want to start oil pulling, using white strips, and brushing twice daily.  

I brush my teeth once a day, but I really need to brush them each night and each morning, mostly because I love espresso.  I used Crest White Strips for a few weeks and I was amazed by the results!  Why I stopped, I have no idea... But I want to get back into the habit of using them once or twice a week until my teeth are a few shades whiter.  

I was talking to my aunt about a month ago and she was raving about oil pulling.  I had heard of it, but I had no idea what it could do for your overall health.  If you're interested in knowing more about it, I'm planning on writing another post all about my experience with oil pulling.  But for now, I do know that I'm going to do some more research on Google and Pinterest before experimenting with this strange technique.

Be a Happy Person

If you've been following me for sometime now, you know that I've struggled with anxiety and severe depression for a few years.  Although it's a work in progress and it takes a ton of effort to put myself in a good mental place, I feel that I have gotten back to a healthier place and I'm happier overall.  It's hard and some days are easier than others, but as anyone with mental health problems will tell you, you can always improve.  I want to read self-help books, go back to therapy, and smile more  often.  There isn't much else to say about this topic right now, simply because this is such a personal thing.  Everyone has a different way of coping, and everyone has a different plan for improving their mental health.  I just need to take it day by day and remember to stop beating myself up over things I have no control over.  Sorry to end this post on kind of a sad note, but I feel that this is the most important component of my midyear resolution :)
----------

Thank you for checking out this post; if you're looking for more random things from my crazy mind, check back soon for more!

I hope this helped (even a little bit)
Keri <3

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.