January 17, 2018

The Selection by Kiera Cass Review

The Selection (The Selection, #1)The Selection by Kiera Cass
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I never read the synopsis or summaries of books, whether I listen to them, read them on my Kindle app, or read the actual book. I have no idea why- I guess I just never got into the habit of doing it. Maybe it's because I don't want to have any preconceived notions about a book before I can form my own opinion of it? Who knows!

That being said, I assumed this book was similar to the Hunger Games based on the title and cover photo. I listened to this on one of my library apps, and I have to say, it wasn't what I was expecting and THAT'S TOTALLY OKAY! The plot itself is kind of bland and it's pretty predictable (a common characteristic of Young Adult novels, obviously), and the characters don't really do much. They don't develop or change in any dramatic way like I was hoping they might. After thinking about this book for a few days, I've decided that it wasn't awful, but it's not something I normally gravitate towards. It reminds me of The Bachelor meets Mean Girls meets Big Brother (if BB was PG). Again, not my cup of tea, but not bad. If you like catty, dramatic teenage characters who don't know what they want in life, give this one a go. I'm listening to the second book now and so far it's not nearly as good as the first. I only gave this one three stars because I feel bad giving books two star reviews.

Honestly, it's not poorly written; it's just not my style.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment