January 1, 2018

What I'm Reading 2018

Hello again (or hello for the first time!), and Happy New Year!!

I always look forward to this time of year for a few different reasons.  First and foremost, January 1st means I can stop stressing about the holidays and focus on moving forward and starting the new year off right.  Secondly, I get to start my 2018 reading challenge!

If you've even glanced at the posts on this blog, you probably already know that I'm a huge bookworm and reading is such an important aspect of my life.  Because I teach English and Language Arts at a Title 1 school, it's crucial for me to not only genuinely have a passion for reading, but to show my kiddos that reading can change your life (super cliche, I know...).

All that to say, I take my reading challenges seriously, and I always document my progress throughout the year.  Whenever I finish and review a book, I post that review on here and my Goodreads; I also update this page as a sort of checklist to keep myself on track.

I'm trying to keep this short, but there's always so much to say!  Ok, here's a few things you need to know if you haven't kept up with my challenges in the past:

  • I link each review in this post, so just click on the title if you'd like to know my thoughts about the book.
  • I don't usually re-read anything, but if I do, I'll mark it with an asterisks (*).
  • Audiobooks are noted. 
  • Sometimes I cheat a little bit, sorry not sorry.
All jokes aside, I really do enjoy setting these reading goals for myself each year.  I want to broaden my horizons this year and read more books outside of my typical go-to genres.  Recently, I've been reaching for a lot of young adult fantasies (Sarah J. Maas was huge for me in 2017) and historical fiction (the Outlander series, in particular), so I'm looking to read more widely this time around.  

One last thing: I've never actually completed a themed challenge, but I have completed my reading goal each year for the past 5 years!  We can't break the streak now!!  I just wanted to push myself a little bit further so I can become a more well-read person.

I've done enough talking (typing??), so let's just move straight on into the reading challenge!  Oh, and if you want to check out my reading challenges from previous years, I have everything linked for you below :)

----------
2018 Reading Challenge
Goal: 30 books (edit- 40 as of 10/5/18)
I found this challenge on Modern Mrs. Darcy's site, and it looked like something I could accomplish without overwhelming myself.  She also has some wonderful tips on how to get more out of your reading life, if you're interested!
* = re-read
1. A classic you've been meaning to read
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (audiobook)

2. A book recommended by someone with great taste
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas* (One of my best friends, Rose, recommended this book to me years ago!)

3. A book in translation
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1 by Naoko Takeuchi 

4. A book nominated for an award in 2018
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas (Goodreads Choice 2018 nominee)

5. A book of poetry, a play, or an essay collection

6. A book you can read in a day
The Selection by Kiera Cass (audiobook)- it took me several days to actually listen to this book because I have a career, but it was only 7 1/2 hours in total

7. A book with more than 500 pages
The Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

8. A book by a favorite author
A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas*

9. A book recommended by a librarian or indie bookseller 
Circe by Madeline Miller (recommended by Jean, aka Bookishthoughts on YouTube and Goodreads)

10. A banned book
The One and Only Ivan by Kathrine Applegate (I’m sure this book is banned in several school districts for a variety of reasons, but it’s an incredible children’s book!) 

11. A memoir, biography, or book of creative nonfiction


12. A book by an author of a different race, ethnicity, or religion than your own
When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon


Other Books
----------

If you're interested, here are my other "What I'm Reading" posts:

As always, thank you for taking some time out of your day to check out my blog!  Happy reading!!
Keri <3

No comments:

Post a Comment