July 8, 2018

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate Review

The One and Only IvanThe One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this in order to prep our fourth grade reading unit. My students absolutely loved this book! They would constantly as to read it during the day, and they were disappointed when we had to stop reading (which is definitely not the norm for my kiddos!). This book really got my students thinking and talking to one another about so many different topics, like animal cruelty, zoos, and captivity. I know they learned a lot from this book and they had wonderful conversations with one another. I love this book because it allows children to ask and answer questions about their own morals and feelings regarding complex concepts. I would definitely recommend this book for any fourth or fifth grader (some third grade students may also find this engaging). Can be read independently or aloud, depending on the child’s reading level.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment