September 8, 2014

Tattoo Addict (Tattoo #5)

Hello!!

I've mentioned this in a few previous posts, but I'll say it again: I am addicted to tattoos. I can't explain exactly what it is that I'm addicted to (the pain/ rush from getting them, or the actual tattoos themselves? Both? Idk), but I'm definitely addicted. 

I've had this idea in my head for awhile now that I wanted to get a tattoo inspired by Fall Out Boy's album "Take this to Your Grave." Quick backstory: I listened to TTTYG for about 3 months straight while I was dealing with my depression/ suicidal thoughts. Obviously, Fall Out Boy will always hold a special place in my heart because their music got me through a really rough time in my life. I truly believe that they saved my life (I know a lot of people say that, but it's definitely a real thing). I needed something inspired by their album as a sort of "thank you"/ tribute to the band, and as a reminder to myself that their music got me through some rough times. Even though it's a daily struggle (another cliche... sorry), I think I've become a better person because of the things I went through. 

Anyway, back to the point. I found a design online (three skulls surrounded by roses), but turns out it's a really common flash design. So, my amazing tattoo artist, Jimmy, came up with a 100% custom tattoo. I was completely speechless when I saw it; he has got to he one of the best artists I know! I pretty much gave him total freedom with this tattoo. I trust him completely, which is saying a lot since I don't even trust people to wax my eyebrows! The only thing I absolutely needed to have was a banner with "Take this to Your Grave" written on it, and blue roses. Jimmy came up with the rest. 

Here's how it turned out (my skin is still a bit red since I got it done last Saturday): 

I still can't believe this beautiful piece is on my arm!! Honestly, I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out- it's beyond perfect. I told Jimmy I need to cut off the sleeves on all my t-shirts so everyone can see my tattoo haha! 

Tattoos aren't all fun and games, though. This one will probably take 3 weeks to heal, and I have to be extremely careful about washing it/ keeping it moisturized. I definitely want the colors to stay as bright as possible. Which means no sun for awhile, and tons of sunscreen later on. My arm is still a little sore, especially near the top of my shoulder. Getting the tattoo wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be; it only hurt once we started again after taking a break. I think I've said it before, but the only sensation I felt (for the most part) was similar to burning cat scratches. The outline was pretty intense, but the shading was a breeze after that. 

This bad boy took about 4 1/2 hours total. Nothing too crazy, but it's the longest I've ever sat for a tattoo. It was definitely worth the time and pain. 

It's crazy to me that I have a custom tattoo. I love knowing that no one else has anything exactly like this. I can't thank Jimmy enough for his awesome skills and the time he put into this piece.

-----
Thank you for taking the time to read about my lastest tattoo :) Love you all, and I'll talk to you again soon!

Keri<3

No comments:

Post a Comment