August 13, 2017

Crazy Is My Super Power by AJ Mendez Brooks Review

Crazy Is My Superpower:  How I Triumphed by Breaking Bones, Breaking Hearts, and Breaking the RulesCrazy Is My Superpower: How I Triumphed by Breaking Bones, Breaking Hearts, and Breaking the Rules by A.J. Mendez Brooks
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Edit: 10/1/2017

So, after doing some research and actually watching AJ Lee in the ring, I definitely want to edit this review. I guess instead of editing, I'll just write an updated review because there are some things I would like to touch on.

I still stand by what I said about the majority of this book. AJ is an inspiration to young women, as she should be. She struggled to get into the business due to a number of factors (including her mental health problems, and the simple fact that she was a woman in a male-dominated industry), but still prevailed. To this day, many wrestling fans will tell you that she is the sole reason for the Women's Revolution, and she seems to think so, too. As I sit here watching her old matches, I'm starting to wonder why she's held on such a high pedestal. For someone who didn't want to be known just for her body, she certainly doesn't seem like she was unwilling to wear her "skimpy, little outfits" (which she talks about extensively in the book). Yes, she is one of the more talented workers of her era; yes, she should be given credit for attempting to revolutionize the division. However, she should not be hailed as a revolutionary by any means. She pushed for longer matches and deeper story lines for the women, but I wouldn't say that she was the only one who made these things happen.

I still enjoy bits and pieces of this book- mostly the sections about her childhood and her battle with mental illness. I just can't say that I respect her nearly as much as I did before watching her matches.

----------
I have nothing but positive things to say about this autobiography. It's truly inspiring to see where AJ came from and know the struggles she faced before breaking into the business. Although her career was cut short (in my opinion), she influenced the women's division and changed the face of the business for the better. All too often we praise female athletes for their bodies/ their looks rather than their in-ring talent, a point which AJ makes throughout the second half of her book. Her accomplishments are remarkable and, honestly, she should be given more credit for her role in WWE. A few people have said that she "shit on the company," but I didn't pick up that sort of tone from her. She is very matter-of-fact and blunt. Maybe some people just can't handle the truth? I'm not sure, but either way, I absolutely loved Crazy is my Superpower from start to finish, and I hope to god she writes another book soon. I'm fascinated by the business in general, but the women's division (for obvious reasons) has always held my attention more than the "main roster Superstars" in most cases.

If you enjoy wrestling even a little check this out. If you need a strong female role model in your life, give it a go. Or, if you just need a really good book that keeps you engaged the entire time, I highly recommend this one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment