August 13, 2017

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Review

FangirlFangirl by Rainbow Rowell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I didn't like this book as much as I was excepting to... but I also didn't hate it as much as I thought I would either. My main issue with the book is the fact that it's marketed as a "coming of age" novel, even though it mainly revolves around Cath's fanfiction. This book offers a somewhat realistic narrative about the life of a college freshman, I really wouldn't call this a "coming of age" story simply because there really isn't enough character development to warrant this claim. Yes, Cath grows up a little bit as the story progresses. However, it's a little silly to me that she would be so concerned with writing her fanfiction that she pretty much blows off her college courses (plus her career, relationship, family, etc.) to finish it. I also hate that this whole story is based around a horrible Harry Potter fanfiction... Sorry, but I can't let that one go. Honestly, if fanfiction weren't the major focus of this book, I would have liked it soooooooooo much more. I know I'm not Rowell's target audience, so that's probably part of the reason why I wasn't overly impressed.

Don't get me wrong, I love good fanfiction! As long as it's not overdone and ridiculous. Unforuntaely, Cath's/ Rowell's piece is not quite up to my standards. Sorry guys... this just wasn't the book for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment