October 8, 2013

How To Clean Candle Jars

Hey everyone!

Fun fact- I like to scroll through Pinterest while taking a study break (I'm pretty sure most college kids do the same). Today, I saw some awesome DIY projects that only require glass candle jars and acrylic paint. Since I had some empty candles, I figured I would do a blog post about cleaning out the jars once you burn the entire candle. I don't know about you, but when I finish an entire candle I feel pretty accomplished :)

This is a really simple process, but it can be time-consuming. It usually takes me around 10 minutes to fully clean each jar. The great thing about this project is it doesn't take skill or concentration, and you can probably find everything you need somewhere in your home. 

So, on to the tutorial!

Materials:
- Candle jar
- Butter knife
- Dish soap
- Cloth or rag
- Nail polish remover (preferably with acetone)
- Cotton balls
- Water

Instructions: 
1. First, you want to make sure your candle is completely burned (no sense in wasting it!). There will most likely be 1/2" or so of wax left at the bottom of the jar. Place the candle in the freezer and let it sit for a few hours.

2. After the candle is complete cooled, use a butter knife to break up the wax into smaller chunks. This shouldn't take a lot of effort or force. The pieces of wax should lift right out of the jar once you break them up a bit. 



3. You may or may not need to do this step (I got lucky and didn't have to). If the glue from the wicks or the wicks themselves are stuck to try jar, just place some hot water in the jar and let it sit for a few minutes. Pour out the water, and you should be able to remove the wicks and/ or glue easily. 

4. Peal off the stickers from the outside of the jar. The sticker on the front of my candle came off cleanly, but the bottom sticker gave me some trouble. I used the butter knife to remove most of the sticker. After that, I took a cotton ball soaked in nail polish remover and removed the rest of the stubborn sticker. 


5.  There may be some residue left around the inside or outside of the candle. Simply take another cotton ball soaked in the nail polish remover and wipe off the residue. You should be left with a squeaky clean jar. 

6. Wash the jar with warm water and soap to remove any stuck on glue or wax. I used a pretty abrasive dish cloth and Dawn dish soap. 

7. Enjoy your clean glass jar, and unleash your creativity!!



----------

I hope this tutorial was helpful and easy to follow! Be on the look out for more DIY tutorials- hopefully I'll make something out of these empty jars sometime soon :) Until then, thank for reading!

Keri <3

No comments:

Post a Comment