May 23, 2015

Book Haul!

Hey there!

As you probably already knew, I'm a total bookworm and have a serious obsession with books. I'm not kidding when I say I spend way too much time (and money) in Barnes and Noble. Since I just graduated and have some spending money, I decided to go on a little shopping spree yesterday. I think I've been to B&N about 3 (or 4) times this month, so I figured I would do a collective book haul in case you guys were curious about what I'll be reading over the next few weeks. 

I have to be honest- I was really only looking to buy one book (It by Stephen King) when I went into B&N. And, as usual, I ended up buying a ton of other stuff. Oops. 

Anyway, let's get started!

----------

Who doesn't love a giant stack of new books?

Barnes and Noble Haul!

It by Stephen King


So, this is the book I intended to buy when I went to B&N yesterday.  I had just finished Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan, and needed a new book to read (even though I probably have about 50 books waiting on my bookshelf; oops).  I texted my boyfriend- who loves Stephen King- and asked him what his favorite King novel was.  He recommended It and Carrie.  Since I've already read Carrie, I decided to give this book a read.  I'm only about 60 pages in at this point, but it's an incredible book so far!  It's creepy and really well-written.  Thanks, Corey :)

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn



I just recently finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (which was amazing, by the way!), so I decided to pick up this book.  Her writing is absolutely fantastic- I literally can't put her books down.  Gone Girl and Sharp Objects are some of my favorite books, and I'm assuming this will be just as wonderful.

The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson



I've never read anything by Hunter S. Thompson, but he's another one of Corey's favorite authors.  I've been meaning to read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but my Barnes and Noble never has it in stock... Ugh!  Anyway, I'm really excited to read this.

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut



For some reason or another, we never had to read anything by Vonnegut when I was in high school.  Weird, right?  I read Slaughterhouse-Five on vacation a few months ago and fell in love with Vonnegut's writing.  Seriously, he has got to be one of the best authors I've ever read.  Honestly, I don't know anything about Cat's Cradle, but I've heard it's pretty awesome.

The Woman in Black: Angel of Death by Martyn Waites


I've never seen The Woman in Black, but for some reason I felt the need to pick up this book.  I'm pretty sure it's based on the second movie, but hopefully it won't be too confusing.  I really like horror books so I'm sure I'll love this one even though I don't know much about the movies/ books.  This is probably going towards the bottom of my reading list just because I have so many other things I've been meaning to read for months.


Animal Farm by George Orwell


We never had to read this book in school (probably because we read a lot of Shakespeare my junior and senior years).  I've read 1984, and it's definitely one of my favorite books.  I love Orwell's writing; it's pretty easy to read, but it's so complex at the same time.  I feel like I could read this book a few times and find something new to analyze each time I read it.  Again, I don't know a lot of information about this book, but I know it's a commentary of several political ideologies.


The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger


This is another classic that I have yet to read... I'm pretty sure we were supposed to read this in my senior English/ comp class, but we ended up reading Dante instead.  I honestly don't know a single thing about The Catcher in the Rye besides the fact that it's one of Corey's favorite books.  At least it'll be something completely new to me when I do finally sit down and read it!


The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star by Nikki Sixx


Oh my goodness, The Heroin Diaries was absolutely amazing!  If you ever want to get inside the head of a serious addict, give this book a read (as long as you're not easily offended by drugs, sex, and rock n' roll).  I feel like Nikki Sixx shouldn't be alive after the amount of drugs he's done; parts of this book are so horrifying and eerie, but it's so incredibly interesting.  I've really been into autobiographies by band members, so this is easily one of my favorite books I've read recently.  Jeremy Spencer and Corey Taylor have awesome books as well, if you're into autobiographies.


Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn


Okay, this has got to be one of the best mystery/ thriller/ drama novels I've read in a while!  Like I said before, I love Gillan Flynn's writing; I wasn't able to put this book down once I got about a fourth of the way through it.  It takes a little bit of effort to get into (the first 50 pages or so are a little slow, but it's worth it), but overall, it's an amazing story.  There are some serious plot twists I didn't see coming, especially in the last few chapters!


Bonus Random Mini Haul Thing!!

AP Magazine- 30th Anniversary Issue 


I saw the cover of this magazine on AP's Instagram a few weeks ago and knew I had to have it as soon as it hit stands.  I absolutely love everything about Fall Out Boy, so the fact that they have a huge article in this magazine makes me so happy!  Patrick, Pete, Andy, and Joe are pretty awesome guys, and they're such talented musicians.  What can I say, I'm definitely obsessed with FOB.  I can't wait to see them this July!!


2015-2016 Planner by PlumPaperDesigns  



Since I'm starting grad school in June, I decided to splurge a little bit on a new planner for this year.  One of my favorite YouTubers, Leesha (xSparkage) bought a planner from PlumPaperDesigns on Etsy and was raving about it on her channel.  Seriously, that shop has some of the coolest planner designs!  I bought one of the student planners, but all of the planners are completely customizable.  Definitely check them out if you're in need a new planner! 

Also, the InkJoy pens are by far my favorite things ever!  I'm left handed, so most pens smear (even though they say "no smear"); these don't, thank goodness.  And they come in a ton of colors, which makes it really easy for me to color-coordinate my planer. 

----------
I hope you enjoyed this post! As always, thanks for reading and keeping up with my literary obsession :)

Keri <3

No comments:

Post a Comment