January 1, 2018

Animal Farm by George Orwell Review

Animal FarmAnimal Farm by George Orwell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

To be honest, this particular novel is one that should be read as part of the curriculum for a high school or even college-level lit class. I’m bummed that I didn’t get to read this in high school or college, and I think the main reason I didn’t enjoy it (as much as I should have) is because I didn’t have the opportunity to discuss it with a classmate/ colleague. There really isn’t much to say about Orwell other than this man was a genius author and a master of satire. Seriously, everyone should read this, but there is definitely a time and a place for it.

I know you really shouldn’t compare an author’s works to one another, but 1984 is still my favorite from Orwell. There’s just something so unsettling about it, unlike this book. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still thought-provoking, especially when you do some research- which I highly suggest you do- on the state of the world when this was written. If you’re unfamiliar with 20th century Russian politics and history, do yourself a favor and refresh your memory before attempting to tackle this beast. Seriously, look it up and you’ll get so much more out of this book!

I have to say, I love that this is considered a short novel based on the page count, but this one will leave you with lots of questions and possibly the urge to dig deeper into the Russian Revolution and the country’s shift into Stalinism (which, I suppose, it the entire purpose of this book).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment